Sunday, November 9, 2014

Review - Big Hero 6

Last night I took the family to see the new Disney flick, Big Hero 6.  You know, I had no idea this movie was based on a Marvel Comics team from the late 90s until I started this review.  Disney is really doing a good job of making money of those Marvel characters we all seem to know nothing about (Guardians of the Galaxy, anyone?).  So let's look at this movie with kid's eyes - which is the way it's really supposed to be watched.

Ryleigh meets Baymax, from Big Hero 6.
A young technology genius named Hiro becomes the leader of a super-hero team after witnessing his big brother/mentor die in a horrible fire.  Hiro learns that the fire was not an accident and then seeks out the person responsible for his brother's death.  That's pretty much the basic plot.

The Good - The action sequences in this one are pretty cool, which isn't surprizing at all considering how good CGI has become.  Some of the characters' "powers" were also fresh, especially Go-Go Tomago and Honey Lemon.  I could have watched an entire movie about those two, but I'm also a sucker for strong and quirky female heroes.  The 3D effects were decent, and my three year old daughter had a few "wow" moments while watching them.  I really enjoyed the robot, Baymax best of all, and thought his interactions with Hiro were the best part of the whole movie. 
There was a little short film before the feature called, "Feast", which was also a lot of fun.

The Bad - So, when I saw the preview for Big Hero 6, I had no idea it was about a team of heroes.  I actually thought it was all about Baymax.  So, shame on you Disney for misleading me.  I thought this movie would be more along the lines of Wall-E or Finding Nemo, just based on the initial preview.  Not to say we didn't enjoy what we saw, but I was expecting a different kind of movie.
Also, the plot twist revealing who the bad guy is was really predictable. 

The Verdict - A pretty cool movie overall, and we all had fun.  Considering we saw a different movie than what I'd expected thought, I kinda wish I'd waited for this one on Blu-Ray.  Coming from a three year old's perspective, I asked her what her favorite part of the movie was and she pretty much forgot the whole thing.  That's quite a different story from "Frozen" which she couldn't stop talking about for weeks after seeing it last Spring.  She was, however, quite intrigued by the preview to "Inside Out", the next one from Pixar, and so was I - and not just because it had "Sweet Emotion" in the preview.  So we'll see what that one's like.

- ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment