Monday, May 16, 2016

Grandfathered Cancelled?

Grandfathered has been cancelled?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
But I need my weekly dose of Stamos!

The 2015 TV Fall lineup featured four new shows that I immediately fell in love with... Supergirl, Superstore, The Muppets, and Grandfathered.  

The fate of Supergirl has been up in the air, with rumours of it being moved from CBS to the CW Network or possibly just not being renewed at all.  ABC decided to not go any further with The Muppets.  I've been waiting patiently for a new episode of Superstore and have no idea if I'll ever see one again.  And then just the other day, I saw on Twitter and Instagram (because I follow John Stamos religiously) that Fox has decided not to renew Grandfathered.

Maybe I'm old.  Maybe I just don't get it.  Maybe I'm longing for TV shows that make me feel the way I did when I was younger and I'd watch sitcoms like The Cosby Show, Full House, Home Improvement, and Perfect Strangers.  You know, shows that don't take themselves so seriously but provide a fun 22-minute escape from the reality of things.

I really enjoyed Grandfathered.  It was one of my most looked forward to nights of the week.  The fact that it was paired with New Girl on Tuesdays was even better, and almost felt like the old one-two combo of Full House/Home Improvement on ABC's Tuesday night.

I know that Grandfathered hit a certain nostalgic note with me in the same way that Fuller House did.  Stamos may be a god, but his acting range isn't omnipresent.  Seeing Stamos on Grandfathered felt more like seeing Uncle Jesse today than Fuller House did.  Imagine if you will Uncle Jesse having left Becky, the Twins, the Rippers, and the Tanners behind to run a restaurant and make a new life.  It's quite likely that in Uncle Jesse's younger years that he may have knocked up a pretty girl and felt no consequence for it.  That would bring us to Grandfathered.  And what a wonderful show it was. 

Fuller House was great, but the problem with the Netflix format is that it's over too quick.  I wasn't longing for the next episode or getting excited for when the next instalment would happen.  I found myself getting excited to see a new episode of Grandfathered was airing. It was just really good family entertainment.

I hope that Stamos manages to find a new home for it somewhere, because I'm not the only one who wants to find out what happens to Jimmy, Sarah, Gerald, Edie, and Vanessa.

Thanks for reading!
-ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment