Monday, February 29, 2016

Blossom - season one and two

Whoa! First time on DVD!

You know, I'm not entirely sure what took me so long to review this DVD boxed set. Maybe I just didn't want to admit to anyone that I owned the six DVDs that make up the teenage adventures of Blossom Russo and her family. Nah, probably not.  As it is with most DVDs I bring home, my wife Dana instantly turned her nose up at this set. You might find that ironic, because Blossom herself is known for having a larger nose. But after watching one or two episodes she was hooked. I mean Dana, not Blossom's nose.

Honestly though, when this show was on TV, I sorta had a crush on Blossom. C'mon, it was 1991. I was only eleven years old... uh... on with the review! 

The Good: Since the first season was short, having started mid-way through the TV broadcast year, we actually get the first two seasons of Blossom in one set. The picture and audio are fine too. This DVD set was put together by Shout Factory, and they've done a great job with other TV shows such as Transformers and Punky Brewster. But the best part of this show is how even though it's incredibly dated with it's costumes and hair-styles (and guest appearance by Salt N' Peppa... someone gimme a Shoop!) the themes of the episodes are pretty timeless. Blossom is the story of a teenage girl becoming a woman in a house full of boys. Her mom is in France, so Blossom can't turn to her when she gets her first period, or wants to go to third base with her boyfriend. Don't worry, those were separate episodes. I'm sure Blossom wasn't the type of girl to let a guy shaboink her while on the rag. A nice bonus feature is the pilot episode with a very different cast so we can see how, thank God, the show never turned out to be. 

The Bad: Season Three isn't on DVD yet. At least I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. In the last episode of season 2, Blossom runs away with her boyfriend Vinnie and we're left with a cliffhanger. Hurry up and bring out season three already! Other than that, I see nothing wrong with Blossom on DVD. You might. But screw you.

The Verdict: Whoa! This is a really well put together package. The booklet inside is thought-out to reflect the mood of the series, and the best part of all was that I had a $25 gift card at Best Buy, so when I bought this set it only cost me $19. You might think that's too much for Blossom, but you're wrong.

And if I were smarter at the time, I would've kept a tally of just how many times Joey Lawrence says "Whoa!", similar to what I did with Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks. Oh well, maybe in Season three.

Thanks for reading!
- ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment