Saturday, October 18, 2014

That's My Spot

"I was here first."
When I was a kid, and I'm sure many of you have had a similar experience growing up, my father had one specific spot on the couch where he liked to sit.  It was the best spot on the couch for several reasons - there was a coffee table right next to it, it was in perfect view of the television, and it was always warm n' comfy.

It was his spot.

And, as a kid, I sat in his spot every single chance I had.

And every single time he saw me there, he'd quickly kick me out of it.

After all, it was his spot.

It started off pretty simply, with him telling me to move over, and over time this graduated into simple hand gestures and pointing.  Sometimes all he had to do to get the message across was clear his throat a big, deep, *ahem*.

The place where I sit and get fat
As I aged and became braver, I found myself not sitting in my dad's spot until I knew he was nearby.  I'd wait for him to come home from work, and then I'd quickly leap into his spot - it was a clear act of rebellion and I was curious to see how he'd react and what he'd do about it.  One way or another, I'd end up further down the couch.

Because it was his spot.

The other day, I came downstairs from the bathroom, walked over to the couch took one look at Ryleigh - who was sitting where I normally do - and simply pointed to the other end of the couch.  She moved.  I sat.  Sipped on my coffee that was right next to me on the table and proceeded to watch a Full House re-run in perfect view.

That's my spot.

Then it dawned on me: am I turning into my father?

- ryan of the ryan fan club

No comments:

Post a Comment