Saturday, March 12, 2016

Born To Rock - The Chipmunks and The Chipettes

Released in 1988 on Quality Records, I would definitely put this in my Top 25 albums of all-time. It's also one of the first cassette tapes I ever bought with my own money. When I found it on CD a couple years ago I had to have it. Imagine my surprise when the CD had a slightly different song listing than the cassette. 

Seriously, what the fuck is that all about?  Who said it was okay to change my childhood on me like that?

The Good: Alvin and The Chipmunks rock their way through a gauntlet of 80's hits, including Bad, Faith, Mony Mony, Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Walk Like An Egyptian, Venus, and You Keep Me Hanging On. The songs themselves sound pretty good. I grooved to this more than most albums when I was young. There are songs called Diamond Dolls and The Girls of Rock n' Roll that, I believe, are originals. I know they were used in the movie The Chipmunk Adventure, which is a fun little flick too. As for the album cover, the 'munks have never looked so bad-ass. I love it. 

The Bad: I know this album is for kids, but did they really need to change the lyrics in Faith? Instead of "I guess it would be nice if I could touch your body", we are bedazzled with "I guess it would be nice if you would be my baby, I know not everybody has got a baby like you". And while it's neat to have differences between the CD and cassette, there are some songs on the cassette that I wish were still on the CD.  LA Fucking Bamba, anyone?

The Verdict: You can't go wrong with the Chipmunks. Hell, even their country album was kind of fun. If you dig 80's tunes (and chances are you do because it's retro cool right now) then try and find this album. You'll find yourself having a solo dance party in your room before you know it.

- ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment