Monday, April 11, 2016

We Saw Raffi LIVE!

Yesterday, as a late birthday present for our daughter Ryleigh, we took her to see Raffi live in concert.

If you asked my daughter what her favorite Raffi song was, she might be able to say "Baby Beluga" or "Mr. Sun", but she definitely couldn't list his entire catalogue.  It was pretty clear this Raffi concert was more for The Lovely Wife and myself.
Raffi.  The Man.

Oh, don't worry, Ryleigh knows "Bananaphone."  We're not terrible parents.

We loaded in to the Kingston Grand Theatre with about a half hour before the start of the show.  We saw some friends there, and they also admitted they were half there for themselves.

I was there for Bananaphone.

I'm not joking.  Bananaphone is one of my very favorite songs.  It's so catchy and ridiculous that you just can't help but love it.  Before the show started, I leaned over to The Lovely Wife and said, "If he doesn't play Bananaphone I'm going to be seriously pissed off."

If you're like me and you like to look at yummy-mummies, then a Raffi concert is the place to be.  But almost just as important was seeing how many of these yummy-mummies were married to ugly dudes.  It made me proud and happy for these guys, knowing that they were able to marry some beautiful ladies.  I tried not to think about too many of the details, but it just goes to show you that love isn't based solely on looks.  There's also clearly lots of alcohol involved.

Anyway, back to Raffi.

Raffi introduced himself and started playing some songs, getting the kids and adults involved.  It was great.  On the stage I saw a chair with a bunch of bananas on it.  Heck yes, I thought to myself.  This clearly had to be some sweet, sweet foreshadowing. And then he grabbed some of the bananas...

And yes, here it came...

It was time for Bananaphone...

And...

Nope.  Just some jokes about bananas and some banana based puns.

My smile quickly dropped into a look that wasn't very amused.  So Raffi played some other songs, "Tingalayo", "Anasi", and under my breath I said, "Bananaphone.  I want me some Bananaphone."

And then like a flash of lightning, Raffi burst into Bananaphone!

If you were there in the crowd with me, you heard me.  I was the guy who shouted "Wooooooooo" louder than Raffi's amplified up acoustic guitar.  It was time for Bananaphone.

Me n' The Lovely Wife, waiting for Raffi to take the stage
This might sound selfish, but I'd like to think Raffi made eye contract with me in the darkened crowd during this number.  Almost like he was singing Bananaphone just for me.  And, like you're supposed to do at a Raffi concert, I sang along and knew all the words.

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, bananaphone!
Boop-bup-ba-doop-boop!

It felt good. I'm not gonna lie.  I'd like to think my life is complete now that I've seen Raffi sing Bananaphone live.  I'd put it right up there with seeing Aerosmith perform "Dream On", or being at premiere of Star Wars Episode I.  Yeah, I know The Phantom Menace sucked, but it was still a big life event to just be there.

I saw Raffi sing Bananaphone.  And not just half-ass it either.  After that song he had to put the guitar down and wipe some sweat off his head and face.  He really gave Bananaphone his all.  And for that I was grateful.

If you have kids and you ever get the chance to take them to Raffi, do so.  Just make sure they're old enough to actually be there.  This couple brought their toddler who couldn't have been more than 13 months old, and they spent the entire show trying to keep their kid occupied because the baby certainly didn't want to be there.  At forty dollars per ticket, they could have done that at home.

But, for those of you with kids old enough to pay attention and enjoy the show, it's definitely worth going.  Raffi's show is charming and touching.  It's pretty clear he loves what does and he loves making children happy through his music.

Thanks for reading.
- ryan

...and here, listen to one of my all-time favorite songs...

No comments:

Post a Comment