Sunday, November 13, 2011

Top 11 Things I Did While Retired...

Retirement is a funny thing.  How many times did Kiss retire?  Rocky Balboa returned nearly 20 yeras after Rocky V.  My mother is a retired telephone operator and she still answers the ringy-dingies when I call her.

Over the last ten months or so I've found myself itching to write.  I don't care so much about hocking T-shirts and thongs with my face on them anymore.  I'm not interetsted all that much in people filling out forms to be my "fans". 

But I do have a need to write.  And to share whatever crap is going through my mind. 

So call it what you want... an "un-retirement", if you will... I still get referred to as Mr. Fan Club by people (Dilworth, you know who you are)... so I'm gonna write and you're gonna read, just like it always was meant to be.

And what better way to re-start than with a Top 11 Things I Did While Retired...

11.  Dressed Up As Hulk Hogan for Hallowe'en
A couple summers ago I bought a vintage "Hulk Rules" shirt for a mere five bucks.  My wife claims it looks terrible on me, but I disagree.  Other than occassionally taking out the garbage with it on, I'd never found much of a use for the shirt.  That is, until Hallowe'en.  I even grew a nasty handlebar mustache to make the costume as real as I could.  Sadly, I never got a chance to drop the big leg on any of my enemies.
"...and the best there ever will be!"
But that wasn't my biggest wrestling related moment of this year...

10.  Put Orlicky in the Sharpshooter on the Road Hockey Court
Ever since I started playing road hockey four years ago, I've picked on my buddy Orlicky.  I do it mostly because he's a good sport about it, and lets me jersey him down to the ground.  Well, this time I may have gone a little too far (probably not) and made him tap out in the dreaded Sharpshooter.

9.  Scored my 300th goal in Road Hockey
...and speaking of Road Hockey, I hit a personal milestone this past summer by tallying my 300th all-time goal.  The weak little shot, assisted by Johnny San and Matt Dilworth, somehow beat Gary Rombough and hugged the back of the net.

8.  Made Friends With The Dog
No matter what my wife says, I do not love our dog.  I tolerate her mostly, and sometimes I even like her.  I'm referring to the dog, not my wife.  I love my wife.  If I didn't, she'd kill me.  But the dog and I do get along now for the most part, which is something I didn't think would happen.

7.  Found A New Appreciation For Batman...
6.  Watched Star Wars on Blu-Ray
I'd like to think that seeing Wampa creatures invade the Hoth Rebel base was well worth my $90 on it's own.  Even blu-ray couldn't save The Phantom Menace though.  I'm still dazzled that with all the deleted scenes in this collection, they never re-included the original Max Rebo musical number from Return of the Jedi.  After all, that scene really was deleted.

5.  Attended a "Video Games Live" concert for Free
Honestly, if I hadn't gotten tickets for free, I probably wouldn't have jumped at the chance to go.  But if you ever get a chance to see this live show, check it out.  It's lots of fun, and there was even a surprize appearance by that Asian dude who plays all the Super Mario music on piano.

4.  Took a Trip to the Nation's Capital
I really enjoy visiting Ottawa.  I like a lot of good people who live there.  So I took Dana there for a weekend getaway.  We visited the National Gallery and the Museum of Nature (cause that's the sort of thing you find yourself doing when you get older).  We also checked out some pubs, and I absolutely loved drinking at The Highlander pub.  They had Old Speckled Hen, my favorite, on tap!

3.  Celebrated a Stanley Cup Championship
It's a pretty big deal when your team wins the grand prize.  It's an even bigger deal when you're a Bruins fan and most of your friends are Montreal Canadiens fans.  As far as I was concerned, knocking the Habs out of the playoffs in the first round was enough glory for me.  Going on to beat the #1 ranked team in the league in the Stanley Cup was the icing on the cake.  And that night I celebrated with a tasty bottle of wine.

2.  Hosted a "No Vegans Allowed BBQ Party"
What's a BBQ without meat anyway?  This was a great chance for me to see a bunch of friends I hadn't seen in a long time.  Once you have a baby, you find yourself having to schedule little mini events to get everyone in the same place at the same time.  We drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of burgers and dogs, and had some great laughs.  And we completely excluded vegans from attending.

1.  Had A Baby
Okay, so Dana did most of the work on this one.  I did stand next to her in the delivery room and coach her on with inspirational quotes from Rocky movies.  Ryleigh Lorraine Ewing, my daughter, was born on April Fool's Day (of course!) and that day can once again be considered the greatest day of my life.
(note: April 1st was also the greatest day of my life when I was 9 years old and my dad took me to see Wrestlemania VI in Toronto)
Being a dad doesn't really change who you are, but it does change how you look at everything else around you.  It really is the best experience. She likes watching hockey, and loves when I "beep" her nose.
My little girl is the greatest thing in my world.  And I can't wait to take her to Wrestlemania someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment