Tuesday, January 17, 2012

RRFC (Retro Ryan Fan Club) #2 - January 1999

RFC Newsletter #2
You all liked the first installment of RRFC, so let's keep that ball rolling!
After my joke backfired, and I was stuck being known as Ryan Fan Club forever, all of my new fans (all 30 of them at this point) were clamoring for more RFC Newsletters.

I couldn't say no to my adoring public, so in January '99 I treated them to two new editions.  (By the way, if you save the images to your computer, you get a higher-res version in which you can see all the details perfectly clearly)

RFC Newsletter #2 featured more ramblings from my cat Toxika, as well as a recipe for Toast.  This new style, being completely handwritten, was really quite compelling to my new fans.  They saw it as an extension of me and my quirky personality.  It was artistic.  It was alternative.  It was very late-90s.

Also in this issue was a Top 10 Coolest People In The World, and a poem I'd written called "Gone (Sitting On The Brink)."  Originally written in the Spring of '98, I still consider that little poem to be one of the greatest things I've ever done.
RFC Newsletter #3
RFC Newsletter #3 continued the crazy style, and brought it up a notch too.  This time, none of the articles faced the same direction on the paper, forcing the reader to have to rotate the page and see the newsletter from a different perspective every time.  This meant you could set it down after reading, glance back a few hours later and see something you never saw before!  I was a fuckin' genius!
In this issue, I talked a lot about my wrestling alter ego, Ambush, as well as instigated the first RFC contest.  The winner would be lucky enough to have me come to their house and clean their toilet!  Also included was the Top 10 Movies of All Time, Top 10 Forms of Medication, and a pictorial "Evolution of Ryan" - which included a (censored) naked picture of me.
Of special note to the RFC purists out there are my lyrics to "Spank The Monkey", which are very different than the ones that ended up in the song I recorded of the same name in 2006.
Go ahead and enjoy both of these classic newsletters again!
- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment